Monday, April 27, 2009

Of Blueberries and Bottle Trees


After two really nasty weekends, the weather was just gorgeous here Saturday and Sunday. We're in that brief window where spring is finally here but summer is waaaay closer than you think. So one has to seize the moment.

I hung more bird feeders. And by the way thank you, Tana, Lou and Cindy from Denver for pointing out that the "mystery birds" from my earlier blog were in fact rose-breasted grosbecks.

I was pleased to note that my tomatoes, herbs, eggplant and pepper plants are all moving smartly toward their ultimate destiny as caponata.

Not so the cucumber which finally bit the dust.

My blueberry bushes, planted last year, are finally starting to grow and they both have clusters of berries on them. Not enough for a pie or cobbler, but maybe enough for one decent batch of blueberry pancakes.

My geraniums, marigolds, zinnias and lilies are filled with blooms. The lantana will be bursting out any day now.

My bottle tree is the envy of my neighbors. I've always wanted one of these. Now I feel like a real Southern girl.

I can't say it was all work. There was a fair amount of loafing on my front porch swing (my favorite thing to do) , walking around and smelling the jasmine which is in full scent, and grilling and dining al fresco.

On the menu: chicken kabobs (chunks of chicken breast tossed in olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and rosemary from my garden) and grilled prosciutto and goat cheese pizza on olive bread with chopped arugula (again from the garden).

I love this time of year!

And yet I can't stop thinking of all the things I want to do. Put up a fence with an arbor (something else I've always wanted). Do something cute with the garage so it looks like one of those outdoor cottages in Southern Living. And take all that salvaged brick stacked up in my garage and repurpose it into a patio/platform for the fire pit I got as a Christmas present.

It's April and springtime, and all I can think of is toasting marshmallows and telling ghost stories come October.

This is so typical of me.

2 comments:

  1. Do you mean a literal bottle tree? Like this - http://wrensnestcottage.blogspot.com/2008/05/bottle-tree.html

    My aunt has one. I love it! I wasn't sure if maybe you meant the actual tree - the bottle brush, tree. We want one of those, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's a bottle tree like the one in your photo. I keep moving it around the yard looking for the perfect spot. I'm still not satisifed. Is the bottle brush tree something I need to have? I'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete