Thursday, September 24, 2009

A Cat Mama's Plea

An occupational hazard of being a cat mama is that people give you a lot of stuff. And it all seems to have something to do with cats.

The cat coffee mug someone picked up on vacation because they "thought of me and couldn't pass it up." I have five of them.

Cat jewelry. Got the whole set.

Cat address book. Cat night light. Cat pillows.

Check. Check. Check.

From the classy to the kooky, if it's got a kitty on it, chances are I own it, possibly in multiples.

With the Christmas season looming, I seem to be getting a lot of catalogs "for the person who has everything,". I saw some cat stuff in those that even I don't own -- and don't want to. The cat mama action figure complete with cat hair and cat vomit for instance. Seriously.

So, with all due gratitude to all who have contributed to my kitty collection over the years, and to those of you who think that action figure is my perfect next birthday gift, I think it's time to say thank you but "enough."

I think I speak for cat mamas and papas everywhere (oh, ick, I just thought about that whole John/Mackenzie Phillips sickness. I can never listen to their music ever again.)

If you want to warm the cockles of a cat mama's heart, don't gift me, gift a cat, preferably one that isn't as spoiled as mine are.

Make a donation to a spay-neuter clinic or a shelter. Foster an abandoned kitten and find a home for it.

Better yet, adopt a shelter cat and become a cat parent yourself.

You'll get all this unconditional love.

And all my surplus cat stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment