Sunday, May 9, 2010

A Cat Mama's Mother's Day

For most mothers, today was a day of cards, flowers, phone calls and dinner out on the kids. For me it was the usual: an overturned water bowl, eight litter boxes in need of scooping, seven cans of cat food to be opened, two broken up cat fights, and a hairball or two -- my Mother's Day presents.

All that said, being a cat mama isn't so very different from being a regular mama (except that I'll never have to put braces on them or send them to college).

My babies need regular meals and a warm bed (mine) to sleep in.

When they don't feel good or when they wake up in the night with a bad dream, they need a cuddle.

They ...

Ignore my requests for affection -- except when I'm trying to read or talk on the phone.

Leave their toys scattered all over the house for me to pick up. Their favorite toy, by the way, is the one their brother/sister is playing with.

Chase each other through the house despite my constant pleas and threats to stop.

Get into fights with their siblings and are punished with time outs.

Hate going to the doctor and have to be coaxed with toys and treats.

Refuse to take their medicine no matter how sick they are.

Are finicky eaters and much prefer junk food to anything with nutritional value.

Are jealous of one another and constantly compete for my attention.

Are devoted to one another and often conspire together against me.

Know when I am mad at them and do cute things to make me forget.

Know when I am sad for any reason and do cute things to make me forget.

Are always there for me.

Are my pride, my joy, my seven reasons for living.

And isnt' that what being a mama is all about?

Happy Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment