Monday, December 20, 2010

A New Orleans Interlude

Last year I spent Christmas in Paris, one of my favorite cities in the world. This year, I'm spending Christmas at home in Hattiesburg, but slipped away this weekend to my other favorite city, New Orleans, for a little holiday interlude.

I have always loved this city and actually lived there for one magical Christmas when I was a little girl (I shared my memories of that Christmas on my other blog "Mike and Mary's Kitchen).


Neither the passage of time nor the ravages of Katrina have dulled New Orleans' Yuletide luster for me.

This year I enjoyed:

Shopping for sweet scents in the uber feminine Hove perfumer.



Citrus-laden trees in French Quarter courtyards.


Getting a history lesson at the Beauregard-Keyes, Gallier and Hermann-Grima houses, interrupted by a raucous second line passing by outside.


Celebration in the Oaks at City Park.

Lobster beignets and s'mores tart (yum) at La Petite Grocery on Magazine Street ...

... and duck confit and bacon seared scallops at Ralph's on the Park ....

... and duck/sweet potato hash with homemade pepper jelly atop a cornbread waffle, washed down with the perfect Bloody Mary (and did I mention praline bacon) at Elizabeth's in Bywater.

Finding another "House Where the Black Cat Lives," in this case the Mexican restaurant El Gato Negro.





The lovely courtyard outside my hotel window.



Meeting up with Old St. Nick in the French Market ...




... and Ernie's twin in the window of French Quarter vet's office (if possible I think this guy is even fatter than Big E!)



The twinkling white lights in the grand Roosevelt Hotel lobby.




Cocktails in the Victorian Lounge at the Columns Hotel. Yes, that is Brooke Shields' photo on the wall. Her controversial 1979 film "Pretty Baby" was filmed here.



No comments:

Post a Comment