Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Guilty Pleasures

Everyone needs a guilty pleasure. I need several of them. Did I mention I take care of seven cats and spend two hours a day commuting? There's chocolate (dark of course) which has almost attained too much respectability to be truly guilty anymore.

Then there's smut TV. For me it's "Dancing With the Stars" and "The Bachelor(ette)". I know this doesn't speak well of me at all. For the record, I also watch Masterpiece Theater and all that educational stuff on TLC so I'm entitled.

I can think of no better way to lure myself into another unrewarding week than with an hour or so of "Dancing" on Monday and Tuesday nights. Maybe it's because I can't dance at all. Maybe it's the cheesy music, the costumes or those ridiculous orange spray-on tans.

But mostly I watch it for Gilles Marini who seems poised to take home the trophy next week. He's a French-bred, half-Italian, half-Greek, all hot actor. Did I mention he's French? And that he was Samantha's naked neighbor in the "Sex in the City" movie? Aaaaah, now you get it. He definitely makes my short list. I can't wait for the "Sex in the City" movie sequel. Can you pre-order those tickets? I think we all need to go see it en masse ladies.

Speaking of pre-ordering, my sister tells me that you can now pre-order the first season of "thirtysomething" on DVD at amazon.com

Learn more


It's about time! It seems music rights were the big hold up. The fictional Michael Steadman -- another man who made my short list back in the day.

So with "Dancing" due to take its bow next week, what will I do when I can't watch Gilles' tight booty tangoing across the ballroom floor? Watch The Bachelorette of course. I've been a fan since the get-go. The show's premise is beyond stupid, but I've always found it highly entertaining, though only a few of the Bachelors actually ever made it onto my short list.

Did you know I actually kind-of, almost met one of them, Andy Baldwin, a year ago? OK I was in a big conference room with him and about 300 other people, and our eyes met and we smiled, but it counts. It beats my only other celebrity close encounter -- passing Gloria Steinem toilet paper under the stall in the ladies' room at the Gulfport airport 12 years ago.

I work in public affairs for the Navy and I was at our big PAO meeting outside DC, and Andy was there in uniform. I still haven't figured out what he was doing there since he's a doctor, but it was definitely him. For the record he looks just like he does on television. Pretty cute. But he's no Gilles.

Speaking of which he'll be coming on soon. Gotta go primp.

No comments:

Post a Comment