Sunday, June 28, 2009

A Taste of Paris in the Piney Woods

If I had a bumpersticker on my car (which I don't) it would say, "I'd rather be in Paris!"

Lately, I'm beginning to think that I'm already there.

Don't get me wrong, I love Hattiesburg. It has its own brand of Southern charm. Historic neighborhoods overflow with interesting architecture, azaleas, wisteria, camellias, hydrangeas, and crape myrtles. Mouth-watering aromas emanate from dozens of BBQ joints and catfish shacks -- some of them quite upscale. Syrupy accents make even bad news sound good. And the code of good manners -- everyone says ma'am, sir, please and thank you here -- just makes life downright pleasant.

Lately I've also been hearing a lot of Madam, Monsieur, s'il vous plait and merci.

It seems that Hattiesburg is turning into the Paris of the Piney Woods.

It started quietly enough when C'est La Vie opened its doors in a strip mall on Hardy Street a few years ago. The French-bred owners introduced Hattiesburg to real croissants, sables, eclairs, religieuses, tartes and all the other too-pretty-to-eat-but-you'd-be-crazy-not-to delicacies normally found in a Left Bank patisserie.

And generations of Hattiesburgians, raised on Sundays at Shipley's donuts, ate it all up.

Then Cafe Boheme opened its doors in a restored old house across from the Hattiesburg Zoo. With it muted decor, soft jazz and menus of coffees, teas, baked goods (croissants, pain au chocolat) and daily lunch specials, it has the ambiance of a salon de the tucked away in the heart of Le Marais.

Just the other day I noticed that a genuine Parisian bistro is serving lunch in a building once occupied by an Italian restaurant and, years ago, a Chinese place.

While I'm a little perplexed by this sudden Gallic turn of events, I think it's formidable. Every one needs a little Paris every now and again. Especially if you're me.

I'm not saying I'm cancelling my annual pilgrimage to the City of the Light.

But it probably will be a little easier to handle my withdrawal symptoms the next time I return home.

Merci, Hattiesburg. Merci beaucoup.

2 comments:

  1. Update: I had lunch at Bistro Francais (the restaurant I alluded to in this post) and was pleasantly surprised. Great ambiance. Good food. Nice selection on the menu (reasonably priced) including a fixed price 3-course daily special. Only downers were they don't have a liquor license yet (and what's French food without wine) and the kitchen is a little slow. The pacing between courses needs some fine-tuning. Almost every table was full, and it sounds like there were some repeat customers there. Good. I'd like to see this place make it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NEWS FLASH! C'est La Vie is "closed until further notice" according to a sign posted on their door this morning. Say it ain't so! They were open 2 weeks ago. I'm bummed. Maybe they will re-open, but it doesn't sound good.

    ReplyDelete