Saturday, June 20, 2009

Wine and Whining

Back in Mississippi and it's hotter 'n hell. Over 100 degrees yesterday. Enjoyed my sojourn in and around DC.

The Navy public affairs conference was very informative -- great speakers, including our new Undersecretary of the Navy -- and lots and lots of gouge on social media. It's a brave new world out there for those of us born before 1985. Hope I can keep up with it. Frankly, I'm surprised I've taken to blogging as I have.

Got a chance to spend some time with old friends, Mike and Diane, during a visit to their winery in Purcellville, Va. What a great place! They've been growing their own grapes and making wine for a while now.

A few years ago they undertook a massive restoration of their old barn. It opened as their tasting room last November. It is truly gorgeous, all Amish-restored with antiques, artwork, music and Amish cheeses. And of course great wine. Read all about it at their website, http://www.sunsethillsvineyard.com/

Diane, my New Orleans running buddy back in the day, took me on a tour of charming Leesburg. One of my favorite stops was lunch at The Wine Kitchen, http://www.thewinekitchen.com/ a wine bar/restaurant. I enjoyed their artisanal cheese tray and a portobello and goat cheese panini --washed down with Chardonnay from Sunset Hills of course. I wish our wine bar here in the 'burg served food. It puzzles me why a place with great ambiance and great wine falls so short in that department.

Also spent some down time hanging with my sister and family. Of course no visit with them is complete without takeout from our favorite Afghan place (yummy lamb kabobs with some kind of garlic/coriander sauce that I am still trying to duplicate, cumin rice with chickpeas and grilled naan bread to scoop it all up with). Other must-do stops are Trader Joe's (love their olive tapenade) and the Mediterranean Bakery -- a foodie paradise that sells prepared foods, meats, cheeses, baked goods, spices, legumes, packaged goods, refrigerated yogurts, dips and spreads and anything else you need to tie on the feed bag Med style. I hauled home a bag of red lentils, a Turkish enameled handled coffee pot (I'll use it for making hot chocolate), a wooden mortar and pestle, anise biscotti, a package of lavosh bread, vacuum packed chestnuts and dried ginger root. This is also where I score essence of anise for all my Christmas baking.

All good things must come to an end. This week at work has been a killer. The city has been working on plumbing in my area so showers at my house have been a little rusty of late. The heat is grueling. And the kitties, while glad to have me back, are punishing me for my long absence with little "presents" left in corners and closets.

Gosh, it's great to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment